COWICHAN INCUBATOR SEED FARM
An educational farm site focused on crop seed production and community outreach.
The Cowichan Incubator Seed Farm (CISF) is a growing project that addresses food security in the Cowichan Region. Located on Municipality of North Cowichan land on Beverly Street in Duncan, since 2016 the Incubator Farm team has been busy restoring and enhancing a prime agricultural site.
A secure, diverse, and regionally adapted seed supply is essential to a community’s food security. The loss of seed diversity, localized production, and the skills and knowledge to produce this supply is a challenge the
the Cowichan Green Community is intent on addressing.
The farm serves the region not only as a centre of production and education – hosting workshops and seminars on seed production – but is home to a Community Seed Bank and Community Seed Library. The site is managed following agroecological principles and provides demonstrations of pollinator friendly landscaping, native habitat restoration, and organic production methods.
- Hold workshops for the community
- Foster connections with local schools
- Provide training opportunities for students and vulnerable members of community
- Work towards building stronger relationships within our neighbourhood and local farm economy
- Plant the seeds to achieve a food secure region